[Scribus] Is version 1.3.3.3 ready for production?

Louis Desjardins louis_desjardins
Tue Oct 3 17:38:15 CEST 2006

Roberto a ?crit :
> Hi,
>
> I'm about to start a single-columned 176-page book project as a
> free-lance job for a publishing house and I'm considering using Scribus
> instead of Indesign CS2 for the task. This would be my first time so I'm
> a little afraid.
> I know you guys are working hard to make Scribus a first-class app and
> you deserve compliments for what's been done so far.
> However, following the mailing list for quite some time, I know not
> everything is ready or working as it should. For instance, I've seen
> many people complain about slowness when dealing with much text, sudden
> crashes, data loss and unexpected results from pdfs created.
> I know most of these errors happen in the development versions. But the
> stable branch (1.2.x) misses so many features now that it just doesn't
> seem worth using anymore. And it's also affected by slowness with much
> text, as reported by some users.
> I know the development branch has been forked to allow a more "stable"
> development version, which now is 1.3.3.3.
> So here is my doubt.
> Just how stable is this version for a project like this?
> I'm so willing to switch from commercial to open source software.
> What do you people suggest? Is it the time to migrate?
> I don't have much time to lay out the book, around 3 days. So there's
> not much time for surprises and I can't disappoint my client.

Hi Roberto,

Your delay is short. My advice is don't try a new program (any new
program) with such a time frame. You will only be frustrated as you will
encounter situations that you'll find difficult to deal with, always
bearing in mind the short time you have. Scribus is ready for lots of
work. But don't underestimate the time it takes to be in full control. :)

HTH

Louis

--
Louis Desjardins