[Scribus] Scribus Digest, Vol 44, Issue 2

Nicholas Vettese nvettese
Tue Oct 3 13:36:34 CEST 2006

But I love greeting cards.  :)

nick

-----Original Message-----
From: scribus-bounces at nashi.altmuehlnet.de
[mailto:scribus-bounces at nashi.altmuehlnet.de] On Behalf Of
jwminer at accessvt.com
Sent: Tuesday, October 03, 2006 2:31 AM
To: scribus at nashi.altmuehlnet.de
Subject: Re: [Scribus] Scribus Digest, Vol 44, Issue 2

James G. wrote:
> I find that, at least here in the U.S., most people's eyes just sort
> of glaze over when you say Desktop Publishing. However, if you say,
> "It works like 'Printmaster' or 'The Print Shop'," lightbulbs light
> up. For those who have never heard of either of these, they are very
> much like a real DTP software package, except that they focus on
> templates and drop-in-place graphics, and are geared to produce a
> final document ready to print out and take to your next church
> function, as opposed to one you might have professionally printed.

Sorry, I don't think PrintMaster or PrintShop are anything at all like a
real DTP package. They are "consumer graphics" programs aimed at home
users who want to make greeting cards, posters, calendars, banners,
labels, recipe cards, simple newsletters, scrapbook pages, and other
graphics projects. They do not offer much control over type. They don't
handle large amounts of text. You write text in the program. They are
good for what they do, but in no way do they approach even a Microsoft
Publisher level.

I don't think Scribus should attempt to duplicate consumer graphics
programs or appeal to users of consumer graphics programs. It's not the
tool a consumer graphics user wants for posters and greeting cards.

I'm also not fond of template collections. High-level DTP involves much
more than picking out a template and dropping in your own text and
graphics.
--Judy Miner

Registered Linux User #397786