[Scribus] entire modified document missing

ljedi at comcast.net ljedi
Fri Nov 17 18:06:45 CET 2006

From: Gregory Pittman <gpittman at iglou.com>
> Calum Polwart wrote:
> > On Thu, 2006-11-16 at 17:33 +0000, ljedi at comcast.net wrote:
> >
> >> Hello, I'm new to the list, so be kind.  I have already searched the bug
> archives and found nothing like this problem --  I have been using Scribus for
> about a year with only minor problems.  HOWEVER, yesterday I modified a
> document, repeatedly saving changes using the disk icon throughout the day.  But
> when I opened the document this morning, none of my changes were there -- just
> the old document I had started with yesterday.  Since I put about 8 hours of
> work into it, my hope is that someone will know how best to recover this lost
> data, or at least know what happened.  Does anyone have any advice?
> >>
> >> BTW, in the past, all modified documents have loaded fine with all changes
> intact.
> >>
> >> Thanks for any advice!
> >>

> > Strange.  I don't garuntee to be of help but 3 things to check which at
> > least means they are done for when someone who knows what they are
> > talking bout picks this up!
> >
> > 1. scribus creates a working backup file called .bak so you have a file
> > called myfile.sla.bak - check it out it may have your changes in it.
> > (renamne it to mybackupfile.sla and open it as normal)
> >
> > 2. if scribus crahses (at least on linux) it tries to save an extra
> > backup file to myfile.sla.emergency again change this to myemergency.sla
> > and open as a normal sla file and you will see where it saved it.
> >
> > 3. Could scribus have saved it in the 'wrong' directory - try searching
> > your whole machine for *.sla and see if anything from yesterday comes
> > up.
> >
> Scribus has this way sometimes of saving to unexpected locations. Some
> hints might come from looking in File > Open Recent. Unless you've saved
> a bunch of other files, it should be in that list.
> Also check default settings in File > Preferences to see where files
> could go.
>
> Greg

Thanks for all your help, everyone --  I tried all of your suggestions, but no luck.  I am quite thrilled to know of some of these options, however.

I think the document is gone -- while searching the archives, I came across a thread regarding the "save/don's save" text box and how unclear it is which button to press, and I have a dim memory of seeing this before I closed the document.  I must have pressed the equivalent of "don't save."  Why the document wasn't saving throughout the modification progress is still a mystery.  If anyone is curious, I am running 64-bit Ubuntu, so that may have something to do with it.

I have since started putting everything back into the document, and everything seems to be saving now (of course, I am making multiple backups now every time I save.  Paranoid?  Nah....)

Thank you so much for your help!