[Scribus] Using Scribus in the classroom?

Nanette Andrusiak nluoma
Mon Nov 6 21:37:21 CET 2006

I've been asked to help a 4th/5th grade class develop a school newspaper and
have been researching tools for them. I'm very impressed with Scribus, as it
has all the features they will need and fits there budget. However, they
will need to be working in the Windows environment (due to the limitations
of their hardware equipment.) I'm trying to learn Scribus quickly, and
develop both a template for a newspaper (on letter-size paper, not tabloid)
and a tutorial for the students to teach them what they'll need to use the
program. I'd love to see some other documentation/tutorials/templates but
can't seem to find anything on the Windows platform. I've tried downloading
several .tar files, which winzip is supposed to unzip, but I keep getting
error messages when I try to unzip them.  And I keep running into problems
trying to teach myself how to use the application. I am a long time Quark
user, and have taught several classes on desktop publishing, but I keep
getting confused. Any recommendations of materials that can help me teach
these kids how to make their newspaper would be appreciated!

Nanette Andrusiak
Information Designer & Publishing Consultant
Luoma Design
nluoma at ameritech.net