[Scribus] Windows booklet printing

Bernard G Hill berni
Sun Nov 5 16:44:56 CET 2006

On Sat, 2006-11-04 at 11:23 +0100, Peter Nermander wrote:
> > That may be so but office workers are not going to know where to find
> > the routine to copy and would object to having to work that way. For the
> > human computer user GUI is the way.
>
> But why would office users need booklet printing? Especially from an app like Scribus?

I am not suggesting that office workers would be using Scribus, but you
indicated that a program which provided imposition should be available
for all programs. Office workers do use WP packages and have to produce
booklets.

> Scribus is a page layout tool, to have use for such an applications you need certain
knowledge about graphical design etc. And when you have such knowledge, you will know
that simple booklet printing is in most cases not what you want, you want more advanced
features, you want bleed, adjusting for creep etc.

> If you can live without bleed, adjusting for creep etc you can IMO also live without Scribus.
>

> So this is a matter of two questions:
> 1. Who need to use Scribus AND simple booklet printing?
> 2. Should booklet printing be supportet by the application or by the print system?
>
> I think the print system, since the application will not have enough knowledge of the
printers limitations.

But there is still the question of whether of not there will be a need
to have different interfaces for all the different printers. If that is
the case then perhaps the programs will have to be responsible for
imposition. After all, fewer programs will need this special feature
than there are different kinds of printer.

> /Peter

For the moment at least, I have returned to Ovation Pro which does what
I want to do, and does it very easily. I will consider Scribus in the
future if/when it is able to scale output, print multiple copies on a
single sheet with and without crop marks, and do at least simple booklet
printing without me having to jump through hoops.

Berni.