[Scribus] I really shouldn't open my mouth... but I'm going to

Ed Keith e_d_k
Fri Nov 3 13:52:48 CET 2006

--- Gregory Pittman <gpittman at iglou.com> wrote:

> Richard Detwiler wrote:
> > There are many, probably a large majority of,
> computer users in the
> > world who think of the computer as a tool to get a
> job done, much like a
> > car is to get from one place to another. They
> don't want to have to
> > learn how an engine works, they want to know that
> when they turn the
> > key, the car starts, and know how to use the
> controls on the car.
> >
> But they need to more than that. My son almost
> cooked the engine on my
> BMW by not heeding the warning about the engine
> overheating. What you
> should know about a car is far from knowing how the
> engine works. What
> you should know about a computer is far from knowing
> how to program or
> how the OS works. The normal operating mode of
> Windows out of the box is
> completely unsafe. Compared to that, learning a few
> things about some
> other utilities to help Scribus help you is child's
> play.

But when I setup a new windows box I pull out my
references and go through a checklist to make sure I
secure it and set it up to automate most of what is
needed to keep it secure. Then I forget about it and
go about doing my work. I only set up a new windows
box once every few years, so I'm willing to put up
with some inconvenience.

When I am doing my work (whatever that is) I want to
focus my thinking on the work. I do not want to think
about how to make my tools do simple tasks, I just
want the tools to do what I want them to do. If the
tool make simple things difficult I will not be happy
with the tool.

   -EdK