[Scribus] I really shouldn't open my mouth... but I'm going to

Bernard G Hill berni
Thu Nov 2 18:29:11 CET 2006

On Thu, 2006-11-02 at 07:32 +0100, Peter Nermander wrote:
> When I want to do booklet printing under Windows I export to a PDF and impose it
> using Multivalent. It's not very Windowish, but at least it runs under Windows and
> all it takes is a suitable command line like
> "c:\program files\java\jre1.5.0_02\bin\java.exe" -cp
> "c:\windows\java;c:\Documents and settings\pen\temp\slask\multivalent.jar"
> tool.pdf.Impose -dim 2x1 -layout 2,35,36,1,4,33,34,3,6,31,32,5,8,29,30,7,10,27,28,9,12,25,26,11,14,23,24,13,16,21,22,15,18,19,20,17
> -paper "420x297 mm" -verbose %*
>
> (This is for a 36 page A4 magazine printed on A3 to be folded into a magazine
> and saddle stapled)
>
> /Peter

I am going to send a message asking for help with updating to Edgy
instead of doing a new install, but this message from Peter fits in
nicely with what I want to say. Ubuntu and its associates have done an
excellent job of making Linux friendly but there is still some way to
go. For every car mechanic there are a 100 or so drivers of cars who
know nothing about what goes on under the bonnet, and with the
increasing sophistication of car workings there is less and less that a
car owner can do. Everything is electronic and in a sealed black box.
How many people now drive a car with manual advance and retard of the
ignition, or have to double declutch, or have to start with a winding
handle? We are much more likely to have an automatic gearbox and cruise
control and electric windows.

Just the same applies to computing in general, most users of computers
have no knowledge of the inner workings but only use them as tools to do
the work which they want to do. That in my opinion is the reason for the
success of the GUI; it makes it easy for the obscure incantations which
have to be sent to the computer chip, to be given in an easily
understood manner by the computer user. The routine quoted above sends
me scuttling back to Ovation Pro on my trusty old RiscOS machine where
this same output is achieved by simply choosing the output wanted from a
menu. I can't even print two copies of A5 on A4 from Scribus without
jumping through hoops.

Please don't misunderstand me, I have the greatest respect for
programmers and all that they do for us lesser mortals, but I for one am
not prepared to memorise all the commands and various incantations,
which would fill a book the size of my Bible, so that I can speak to a
machine. All I want to do is use the computer. Remember, Ubuntu is the
human face of computing!

I really shouldn't open my mouth, but ...

Best wishes to all readers.
Berni.

PS I have just completed building a bombproof shelter!!!