[Scribus] colour management in scribus

Gregory Pittman gpittman
Thu Nov 2 05:14:44 CET 2006

Terence Chan wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm new to scribus and I'm trying to put together a book of photography
> using scribus. I import all my images as tiff. I've installed all the
> lcms and lprof stuff and have looked through the documentation on the
> scribus web site. I also have quite a lot of experience with printing
> images I've processed with GIMP. What I know is I have my monitor
> calibrated more or less right as my images appear in print the same as
> they appear in GIMP. What I've noticed is that my images appear quite
> different from GIMP once they've been imported into scribus; worse still
> they appear quite different again once I export to PDF (e.g. the B&W
> images appear a lot darker and show less detail). I assume this
> is a colour management problem? If anyone out there has any helpful
> hints about how to fix this, or can point me to the right documentation,
> I'd be very grateful. Sorry if this is already answered in some
> documentation somewhere, but as I say, I'm new to all this and haven't
> found the right answers on the web.

Some of what you need may be here:

http://docs.scribus.net/index.php?lang=en&page=cms

and some more may be here:

http://software.newsforge.com/article.pl?sid=05/03/08/1712218&tid=131&tid=130

I think you're especially interested in ICC profiles -- you need to be
having Scribus use these. The articles tell how to get them. Look at the
settings in Scribus to make sure you're using them once you get them.

Greg