[Scribus] I really shouldn't open my mouth... but I'm going to

Gregory Pittman gpittman
Wed Nov 1 20:59:24 CET 2006

Eilert wrote:
> Gregory Pittman schrieb:
>
>> Calum Polwart wrote:
>>
>>> 2. The size of PDF it produces when I want a baby PDF for a web version.
>>> In the past I've got the impression that fixing this would be tricky
>>> because it all comes down to individual character placement instead of
>>> word / lines.  So again I think I have to live with it.
>>>

>> This one, I think, has been figured out:
>>
>> http://wiki.scribus.net/index.php/Web_optimised_PDF
>>
>> not so complicated. Said to be "5 times smaller".
>>

> Yes, but he said "those are Windows users" - the wiki article refers to
> a Linux environment with all those tricky little helpers and Ghostscript
> on it...

It's sort of a philosophical issue. Windows users tend to be something
like spoiled children, and like dealing with a spoiled child, you have
to find ways to get them to learn in spite of themselves. We probably
need to suggest that they try to find someone with a stronger OS rather
than the weak one they have, so that they might have that stronger OS
person process their files for them. We just can't expect everyone to
have the patience and cognitive skills to be able to handle these tasks
-- isn't that what Windows was created for anyway -- the "OS for Dummies"?

Greg