[Scribus] Prepare EPS for commercial print

PLinnell mrdocs
Tue May 30 16:53:15 CEST 2006

On Tuesday 30 May 2006 16:30, Tino Schwarze wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Tue, May 30, 2006 at 03:24:50PM +0100, mvdg wrote:
> > I just performed al the steps proposed by momo. I
> > imported the Inkscape SVG into scribus. For the
> > business card I added the address information in
> > scribus. Then I exported the whole thing as pdf. I
> > made sure I selected the output media being 'for
> > printer'.
> >
> > Now when I review the generated pdf, the text created
> > by Scribus is just fine, but the logo itself seems a
> > little jagged.
>
> What does jagged mean? What PDF viewer do you use? Do you have
> Antialisasing enabled? The SVG you imported is handled as vectors,
> so there shouldn't be any problems with the quality.

The correct settings for this are in both Adobe Acrobat Reader help
and also here and with the help docs:
http://docs.scribus.net/index.php?lang=en&page=toolbox1

Zoom in 400% or more to see the vectors. :-)

> > When I exported the whole thing in eps,
> > this doesn't happen .. however, exporting to eps
> > doesn't have the option to select the output media.
> >
> > Am I doing something wrong? Should I use PDF or eps
> > instead?
>
> I'd suggest to use PDF. I'm not sure about the quality of the EPS
> export.
>
> Bye,
>
> Tino.

I am. Scribus EPS export is very reliable  - with the understanding it
cannot export transparency, as the PS3 spec does not support it. Only
PDF 1.4+ does.

EPS files are tested via a number of ways including import into other
pre-press applications and special pre-press pre-flighting tools.
Very rarely an issue and sometimes it's the importer in question
which has the problem, not the EPS quality.

See: http://docs.scribus.net/index.php?lang=en&page=prepress

Peter