[Scribus] Correct tool for 500-page technical book

James Cloos cloos
Mon May 29 20:11:39 CEST 2006

Doc> "Next time I'll go back to plain TeX".

Although LaTeX with Peter Wilson?s memoir class works well for books,
if you are more comfortable with plain that is probably the better
choise.  But I would ? \input eplain ?, if only for its TOC, index,
cite and biblio support.

Or, if you are feeling adventurous, you could try ConTeXt.

Depending on what fonts you choose to use, you may find XeTeX to be
the better TeX engine to use.  It can access otf fonts directly and
supports their features.  XeTeX was originally OSX-only, but there
is now a beta for Linux - which should also work on any of the BSDs,
provided fontconfig is installed.  Otherwise, I hear that dvipdfmx
is the best choice for generating PDFs which are maximally compatable
with the workflows and RIPs currently used for lithographic presses.

-JimC
--
James H. Cloos, Jr. <cloos at jhcloos.com>