[Scribus] Correct tool for 500-page technical book

D. R. Evans doc.evans
Sat May 27 00:22:36 CEST 2006

Robert Memering said the following at 05/26/2006 12:22 AM :
> Am Donnerstag, 25. Mai 2006 16:34 schrieb D. R. Evans:
>> I think I shall be going with plain TeX, since that is what I know
>> best and I am pretty sure that I can get out of any trouble I get
>> myself into.
>
> I don't really understand why *plain* TeX? Using the right
> documentclass and packages you can be very flexible with (PDF)LaTeX,
> and the code is a lot easier to edit and maintain.

Probably just personal preference. I have used LaTeX for projects a few
times and almost (but not quite) every time I've finished the project
thinking, "Next time I'll go back to plain TeX". Maybe it's just that I
know how to do stuff in TeX and I find the TeXbook simply a wonderful piece
of documentation, whereas with LaTeX it always seems to take a
non-negligible amount of time to hunt down packages, figure out how they
work, work around bugs, that kind of thing. TeX has the not-to-be-disdained
characteristic of being perhaps the closest thing to a bug-free program
that exists, as well as being extremely well documented.

But maybe I'm just rationalising. Maybe it's just that I simply like it.

   Doc