[Scribus] FOSS Competition for Scribus ;)

Philipp Wagner lists
Sat May 27 01:50:59 CEST 2006

Christoph Sch?fer schrieb:
> Hi folks,
>
> who'd a thunk it? Scribus now faces serious competition from a new
> FOSS project called DTP Blender:
> http://dtpblender.instinctive.de/cms/Main/Home

Well, as far as I read the docs, it's not supposed to be a competitor at
all. Read more about it at
http://dtpblender.instinctive.de/cms/Documentation/Philosophy

> Everybody please download and test this one. Next time we have
> complaints about Scribus' usability, we can be a little more relaxed,
> I suppose ;)
>
> Actually, I didn't know whether to laugh or cry. The effort deserves
> respect, no doubt, but I don't think _this_ UI will have the
> slightest chance of becoming a viable FOSS alternative to the old
> bulls (PM, QXP, ID).

The UI is "unusual", for sure, but you can work with it quite fast if
you get used to it. I used Blender 3D for a while and got quite good
results out of it. I actually prefer an unusual UI, which is
well-structured and thought-out, much over slow and nice-looking UIs.
Sometimes even an old DOS-program can do the job ;)

Philipp