[Scribus] Correct tool for 500-page technical book

Erich Dollansky oceanare
Thu May 25 02:20:16 CEST 2006

Hi,

D. R. Evans wrote:
> I am about to start work on a technical book that will be ~500 pages.
>
> Last time I did this, I was forced to use Word. This is not an

forget the idea of using Scribus on Windows for the moment.

There is a bug in the Windows version which bothers me with a document
of some 50 pages.

It looks like the programmers found it but did not publish a new version.

> My biggest concern (apart from spending the time to use Scribus
> properly, but I really don't mind doing that) is the index. I haven't
> seen anything that indicates that Scribus knows how to create indices.
> The TOC is also a bit of a concern, and I would like some input on

You will have to do this by hand or create your own scripts.

>   plain TeX -- probably the most likely, although tables and Figures
> are a bit painful.

Tables are no real fun with Scribeus either.

> Anyway, would I be stupid not to try to use Scribus? Or stupid to try to use it?

Both?

The problem will be the index.

Erich