[Scribus] Old Style Figures - substituting glyphs from one font

Louis Desjardins louis_desjardins
Mon May 15 20:11:45 CEST 2006

S?ren Christensen a ?crit :

> On Mon, May 15, 2006 at 09:52:02AM -0400, Louis Desjardins wrote:
>
>>S?ren Christensen a ?crit :
>>

>>>Hi,
>>>
>>>I'm new to Scribus. I have searched the archives for the subject, but
>>>couldn't really find an answer, if I'm doing a bad job in searching
>>>please forgive me.
>>>
>>>I have the Lucida font (type1) installed in a expert / complete set (it was sold
>>>by TeX Users Group, with supporting packages for use with TeX.
>>>
>>>I can acces this font with Scribus. As far as I have seen (also with
>>>Adobe fonts) it is normal to have a 'regular' font and a 'SmallCap' font
>>>which also includes old style figures.
>>>
>>>My question is, how can I substitute the normal figures in Lucida Bright
>>>Regular with the old style figures from Lucida Brigth SmallCaps regular?
>>
>>Hi Severino,
>>
>>You can do that using the Search & Replace dialog.
>>
>>Look for Text (Search and Replace) *and* Font.
>>
>>HTH
>

> Well, I had figured that solution out, is there no way of substituting
> (globally) the numbers of the regular font with another? I know that is
> mixing of fonts, which should be avoided generally, but in this case
> this solution could be prone to create errors as well, a last minute
> change in the text, and suddenly we have both old style figures and
> majuscle numbers in the same text.

You're absolutely right pointing at the "creating errors" issue. There
is no better way at the moment (unless something could be done with
scripting, but I cannot advise on this). But the issue is known and
there are plans to have a "super search & replace" function that would
allow to handle these cases in one single operation.

Louis