[Scribus] Fonts won't embed, only subset

Craig Ringer craig
Mon May 15 05:40:50 CEST 2006

avox wrote:

> Colin Lewis wrote:
>> In Scribus 1.3.3.1 on Windows XP, with Ghostscript 8.53, I cannot get
>> Times
>> New Roman Regular or Bold to embed. It will only allow subsetting.
>> Same goes for Arial.

As previously mentioned, if the're OTF then Scribus can't do true
subsets of them yet (IIRC because it was found to be unreliable with a
variety of older RIPs etc). They'll be looking bad in Adobe Reader
because it won't be smoothing line-art. Enable that option and things
should look fine (they'll print fine too, with or without smooth line
art on).

>> All I want is one serif and one sans-serif font that will work properly in
>> regular, bold, and italic.
>>

> You should try not to embed Times New Roman or Arial at all. Those get
> usually mapped to the standard PS/PDF fonts Times and Helvetica and
> should be supported by any PDF viewer or PS printer.

A lot of printers require you to embed these fonts. Given that PDF has
accurate character placement even with slightly different fonts, I'm not
really sure why, but they often do.

--
Craig Ringer