[Scribus] Reporting bugs

Christoph Schäfer christoph-schaefer
Sat May 13 21:04:13 CEST 2006

Am Samstag, 13. Mai 2006 15:38 schrieb Gregory Pittman:
> Searching for bugs can be very time consuming. It's hard to imagine what
> it's like for the developers, but it seems the end result is an
> ever-increasing and more confusing list of reports.
>
> I would think there needs to be some kind of front-end weeding out
> process. One particular category that tends to stockpile is for feature
> requests. While many seem well intentioned, they can be difficult to
> understand, ill-conceived, and probably best seen in the context of
> other requests of a similar nature as well as the roadmap.
>
> Also, extreme things, like Sig 11 crashes, at this point (in my
> experience) tend to be very transient problems with a particular version
> that get fixed as soon as they come to attention. Yet they can lead to
> repetitive reports when someone uses that brief "bad" version. Perhaps
> there could be a list of at least recent cvs versions with date that
> could be labeled as "bad" or "do not use - update".
>
> When I have reported bugs, I find some of the decisions about labels to
> be difficult: what category, how severe. Maybe there could be a
> rethinking about how bugs are reported to help with these decisions.
>
> Greg

As a (provisional) solution I suggest the following:

1. We need to create more metabugs. Their number and their content is yet to
be determined. I have started with one including all reports related to
groups: http://bugs.scribus.net/view.php?id=3812

2. The categories need to be presented in structured, if possible hierarchical
manner somewhere. Example:

+ Vector graphics
 +Import
  + SVG
  + EPS/PS
  + PDF
  + Other
 + Export
  + SVG
  + EPS/PS
  + PDF
  + Other
 + Drawing
+SVG
+EPS/PS

As you see, it will be possible to have several metabugs for one item (e. g.
SVG).

I suggest a Wiki page for this structured list.

3. The link to this page needs to be added to the Wiki article on bug reports.

#1 is a lot of work, but in the long term it would save a lot of time for
those who want to report a bug and those who try to keep track of this all.

What do you think?

Christoph