[Scribus] Font problem - Bitstream type 1 not working

avox avox
Fri May 5 14:53:59 CEST 2006

Peter Haraldson wrote:

> First of all - how do I "file a _private_ bug"? I can report an issue,
> but there's nothing about private? Don't know if it has to be private,
> but the fonts are of course not freeware.

There should be a field "view status" at the end of the report sheet giving
the options "public" and "private". It might be that this field is only
visible to admins in which case I'll set it mysdelf. We don't want to have
public download links to commercial fonts on our bugtracker.

> And subsetting - it shouldn't really be used, should it? I'm really more
> interrested in a final solution - be it a fix or in the worst place,
> having to discard my fonts.

The method for subsetting used by Scribus (converting to vectors)
is very reliable for print output, even if it may enlarge the file in some
cases
and the result isn't optimal for viewing.

> Now I've done some tests, here are the results:
>
> My printer: HP Laserjet 4MPlus, not PS, driver:Laserjet4Foomatic+hpijs
> Distro's: Mandriva2006 and Debian 3.1
> Scribus versions: 1.2.4.1 and 1.3.3.1, in Debian also 1.2.2cvs
> Test: Create small textdocument in Scribus, export to pdf with "embed
> all fonts" none subset, open pdf in kghostview, print -> preview or send
> to printer.
> Result:
> Debian sarge, ghostscript 7.07: No errors, prints fine.
> Mandriva 2006, ghostscript 8.15: Takes ages to print/create preview,
> errors:
> "Embedded font uses undefined procedure RD"
> "Embedded font uses undefined procedure ND"
> (the two lines repeated a zillion times - I used 3 fonts)
> Followed by:
> "  **** This file had errors that were repaired or ignored.
>    **** The file was produced by:
>    **** >>>> Libpdf for Scribus 1.2.4.1 <<<<
>    **** Please notify the author of the software that produced this
>    **** file that it does not conform to Adobe's published PDF
>    **** specification.
>
> kdecore (KAction): WARNING: KAction::plugAccel(): call to deprecated
> action." (repeated some 10 times).
>
> This also happens with the pdf created in Debian(gs7.07), opened in
> Mandriva.
> It does not happen with pdf created in Mandriva (gs8.15), opened in
> Debian.
> I'm utterly confused! Is it actually not the fonts, but ghostscript
> 8.15? But then when it's created with 8.15 it works fine on my computer,
> viewed/printed by gs 7.07 - on commercial printer it doesn't work?

Yes, iit looks as if it's a GS bug. What confuses me is that it works with
gs 7.07 (probably ESP) and not in gs 8.15 (probably GPL).

I don't know what RIP the commercial printer uses. In theory it
could be that they also use gs but I've no idea if anyone does it
in practice.

> Next step I guess is sending a pdf created in 7.07 to commercial
> printer, see what happens. Or any other suggestions?

No, gs does not participate in the generation of PDF, it is only used
for viewing. If you embed font without subsetting, a compressed
verbatim copy of your font file is included in the PDF.
When you subset the font, Scribus uses Freetype to get the vector
outlines and creates PDF code to draw this vector outlines, no part
of the original font file ends up in the PDF. As I mentioned before, this
is a very reliable solution. There might be slight differences in the
printed
results in theory (characters appear slightly heavier, no hinting for
smallest
font sizes) but so far we haven't heard of any complains about that.

> Of course, I don't really know if it's the kghostview-error that causes
> the problems for commercial printer - but it's the only error I get.
> Commercial printer gets no error messages at all, it just doesn't print.
> Creating a pdf without Bitstreams Type1-fonts = no error & it prints.
> (All programs loaded from terminal.)
>
> Commercial printer replies: We do not place it in Quark, we processed it
> directly against our printers.

Good.

> 2 tried, both PS-printers.

PS printers? Do they also understand PDF natively?
If not, your printer very likely uses gs to convert from
PDF to PS.

You can also print to file from Scribus and offer that
file to your printer. AFAIK you have to set up the embedding
option in Document Setup->Fonts.

If possible, please do file a bug report and assign it to me!

Thanks

/Andreas