[Scribus] pantone colors

Gustavo Homem gustavo
Fri May 5 03:04:52 CEST 2006

Hi Christoph,

On Friday 05 May 2006 02:01, Christoph Sch?fer wrote:
> Hi Gustavo,
>
> Am Freitag, 5. Mai 2006 02:45 schrieb Gustavo Homem:
> > Hi Christoph,
> >
> > [...]
> > >
> > > Yes.

> > > "With no further questions asked" is always a bad idea. Success in
> > > printing has a lot do with communication between human beings, since
> > > there are hundreds of uncertainties. It's almost the same as asking a
> > > doctor for help by describing shortly what you think is wrong with you.
> >
> > seems that I picked the wrong words there.... what I want to know, is if
> > such a PDF can be automatically interpreted by their workflow, if the
> > colors have correct Pantone names and are marked as spot colors.
>
> Yes, it can.

Good!

> > > They don't even do that. Read the disclaimers!

> > > A spot colour is stored as a separate colour (only the name of the
> > > colour) in the PDF file, whereas a process colour is stored in CMYK/RGB
> > > values.
> >
> > aha! Then why is it that when I marked as color as spot and gave it a
> > foobar name Acrobat still rendered it?  If only the name was there, it
> > shouldn't , I think.
>
> Because in reality, you defined a RGB/CMYK colour and only marked it as a
> spot colour, which is totally independent from the values you entered. You
> can define a blue colour, choose a red one from a colour book, enter the
> name, define it as a spot colour, and the printer will use use red, while
> you see blue on your screen or on a print from your inkjet.

Ah... so both things are stored on the PDF: RGB/CMYK and the spot bit + colour
name !

> > > The
> > > developers will be able to explain the technical details better than I
> > > ;)

> > > You need special software for this. AFAICT, none of them is available
> > > for Linux yet :(
> >
> > but this list does a god job anyway.
>
> That's what it's for :)

This discussion was very helpful, thanks a lot.

I think most things are now clear, regarding what I wanted to understand.

Best regards
Gustavo

--
Angulo S?lido - Tecnologias de Informa??o
http://angulosolido.pt