[Scribus] 1.3.4 - The Great Breakage Part 2

Christoph Schäfer christoph-schaefer
Fri Mar 31 14:10:19 CEST 2006

Am Freitag, 31. M?rz 2006 13:39 schrieb Robert Kaiser:
> Petr Van?k schrieb:
> >>
> >> In your dreams, mate! German only has ??? and ?.
> >> Whereas Czech has even words which alone have four different accents,
> >> like "T??vr??". Just looking at the Czech sample text makes me dizzy...
> >> :-)
> >
> > hehe, ok, ok, I was wrong... btw is that '?' still in use? I've heard
> > something about replacing by 'ss' in modern Deutsch.
>
> Only in a small set of cases where it made sense,

except that it doesn't make any sense at all. Texts have become harder to read
(Essst?rung, Messergebnis das/dass), and children and adults alike make more
"s"-mistakes than ever before!

> i.e. now there's a
> general rule that it's 'ss' after a short vocal,

Wrong! ss after short vowel where in common spelling an ? is written. You have
to learn the "old" rule before you can correctly apply the "new" one.

> and that's not changing
> in different forms of the word.

Huh? Do you still believe those lies?

> After long vocals

and diphthongs

> the '?' is still used

Not to mention 70-80 % of the population who don't care about the craziness of
some bureaucrats and who write "?" as it is appropriate.

> (except in Switzerland, where it's been 'ss' for ages to not need an
> additional character on their keyboards, as they have three official
> languages in the country).
>
> Robert Kaiser

Christoph