[Scribus] 1.3.4 - The Great Breakage Part 2

Le Tigre scribus
Wed Mar 29 15:53:51 CEST 2006

Craig Bradney a ?crit :
> Hi,
>
> Well, within the next days we are guessing that those 1.3.x release users will
> move up to 1.3.3 and hopefully enjoy the experience there. CVS users will of
> course be up-to-date with their next update.
>
> This is just a note to say that 1.3.4 promises some major changes to Scribus,
> including work on the new text engine, character and paragraph styles, GUI
> changes including the new Style Manager, and a whole lot of other changes and
> general cleanups. Because of this, we would like to advise those that use
> 1.3.x for real work should be very careful if they decide to use CVS. We
> would suggest that you keep 1.3.3 around for general use, and play in CVS
> only. For advice on dual installation, please refer to docs.scribus.net or
> ask here or in IRC.
>
> With the new text system, or the parts that arrive in 1.3.4cvs, there may be
> days where your old documents look rather strange indeed, or may not load at
> all.. although you shouldn't expect any explosions caused by Scribus :). We
> plan to provide a compatibility mode for loading old documents to hopefully
> keep the formatting correct, but this may not be a part of the first stage of
> development.
>
> We will endeavour to keep 1.3.4 cvs buildable and usable in general, but
> day-to-day this may not be possible (sometimes some of us have to sleep too).
>
> I expect we will release 1.3.3.1 in the near future to cover any issues that
> need fixing in 1.3.3 before 1.3.4 is stabilised.
>
> cya
> Craig

Thank you Craig for telling us - veru useful advice.

For "Le Tigre", we use the 1.3.3 (3 on Linux and 1 on WinXP), and as we
need to make 24 pages avery week, we can't get any risk of unimport of
text, or things like that. So we won't try any "apt-get install
scribus-cvs" (thanks Malex!) those weeks...

Of course I'm a bit sad cause I'd had like to test all these new things,
but I'll try maybe on another computer (I know I should try to learn CVS
things, but I tried once and it was too difficult).

Do you think the 1.3.4 will release (or be more or less useful) before
september?

Anyway guys, thanks again and again - at this time Scribus is our great
friend and I know that I will never use again the other PAO-softwares.
When you make the Character Styles, it will just be the bonheur (good
name for 1.3.4, isn't it?)

Raphael