[Scribus] 1.3.4 - The Great Breakage Part 2

Craig Bradney cbradney
Tue Mar 28 14:04:40 CEST 2006

Hi,

Well, within the next days we are guessing that those 1.3.x release users will
move up to 1.3.3 and hopefully enjoy the experience there. CVS users will of
course be up-to-date with their next update.

This is just a note to say that 1.3.4 promises some major changes to Scribus,
including work on the new text engine, character and paragraph styles, GUI
changes including the new Style Manager, and a whole lot of other changes and
general cleanups. Because of this, we would like to advise those that use
1.3.x for real work should be very careful if they decide to use CVS. We
would suggest that you keep 1.3.3 around for general use, and play in CVS
only. For advice on dual installation, please refer to docs.scribus.net or
ask here or in IRC.

With the new text system, or the parts that arrive in 1.3.4cvs, there may be
days where your old documents look rather strange indeed, or may not load at
all.. although you shouldn't expect any explosions caused by Scribus :). We
plan to provide a compatibility mode for loading old documents to hopefully
keep the formatting correct, but this may not be a part of the first stage of
development.

We will endeavour to keep 1.3.4 cvs buildable and usable in general, but
day-to-day this may not be possible (sometimes some of us have to sleep too).

I expect we will release 1.3.3.1 in the near future to cover any issues that
need fixing in 1.3.3 before 1.3.4 is stabilised.

cya
Craig