[Scribus] Scribus Digest, Vol 37, Issue 62

Craig Ringer craig
Sat Mar 25 07:10:24 CET 2006

hovergo at net-tech.com.au wrote:

>Scribus crashing in Windows.
>
>I would be inclined to believe that it is windows crashing Scribus --
>not Scribus crashing.
>2/3rds of the computers in my local work area crash in windows very
>frequently and never crash in Linux.
>We use a raft of programs, not only scribus and all of them crash  with
>windows-monotonous-regularity.
>
>When a crash occurrs remember ASWOS  (Always Suspect Windows Operating
>System).

That really changed when the NT-based OSes (NT, 2k, XP) went mainstream.
These days it's ASDOA - Always Suspect Drivers Or Applications.
Especially drivers. If you get a bluescreen (STOP error), the chances
are VERY strong that it's a driver, or flakey hardware like an
overheating CPU or video card. Program crashes are likely to be just
that, though they can certainly be caused by things like old/flakey
video drivers, particularly broken spyware, etc.

I've been keeping my eye out for some time to find a crash reporting
tool for Windows that we might be able to use to get enough information
to tell. Under Mac OS X the user can just send a detailed backtrace and
system info dump by looking in the system log, and something like that
would be cool. On Linux they have to get gdb (unless glibc detects the
failure, eg a double free) but at least it's available and easy to give
instructions for. Then again, I don't know if release binaries for
windows apps even have the symbols in them that'd be required to
generate a backtrace.

If anyone here has run into a good tool for this, I'd love to hear about
it (I don't do Windows work on Scribus, but wouldn't mind being able to
help out). Hard-to-reproduce one-off crash bugs are a real pain, and
having some good data collection to find patterns could be quite
interesting for them. Not just on Windows, either - easy-to-report crash
dumps on Linux wouldn't suck either.

(By the way, when replying to a digest, please trim off the parts you're
not replying to, and preferably change the subject).

--
Craig Ringer