[Scribus] Torture testing Scribus

DaleCoz at aol.com DaleCoz
Thu Mar 23 20:43:36 CET 2006

In a message dated 3/23/2006 4:57:50 AM Central Standard Time,
scribus-request at nashi.altmuehlnet.de writes:

> >One girl wrote me a note saying that Scribus developers should be
> >hunted down and strung up.
>
> Unfortunately, some people tend to bite you if you hand them a gift.
> It's usually a sign of missing self worthiness - it leads these people
> to not to see the value of other people's work.
>
> Bye, Tino.

In this case I think it was more a matter of the girl not quite understanding
the nature of Open Source software.  I don't think she understood that
Scribus developers are voluntarily giving their time and effort for the good of the
community.  Plus she was frustrated because she really wanted to do a good job
and the other two people in her group didn't care about quality.  As a result
she had to do far more than her share of the work, including all of the
layout work.  When Scribus didn't do what she expected it to do she became more
frustrated.  I did explain that the version of Scribus we were using was a fairly
early development version, and I hope she will look at Scribus again in six
months or so, because based on the roadmap and the rate at which it has been
improving Scribus will undoubtedly be much more usable by then.

To be honest, I found 1.3.2 very usable with the few exceptions I noted, but
I'm used to learning software and I'm used to finding ways of working around
bugs or limitations.