[Scribus] Scribus splash screen

Craig Ringer craig
Tue Mar 21 10:34:26 CET 2006

On Sun, Mar 19, 2006 at 05:44:40PM -0500, Chris Smith wrote:
> On Sunday 19 March 2006 17:27, Riku Leino wrote:
> > Why don't you run it with --no-splash? Would solve your issue.
>
> I normally like a splash screen; it provides information, verifies that
> the program is loading and what it is currently doing.
>
> The oddity with the Scribus splash screen is the fact that it shows up
> on all of the virtual desktops. I can't simply move to a new desktop if
> I want to do something immediately with an application that is already
> open on a different desktop, something which is easily possible with
> other applications.

This depends on the window manager's treatment of the flags set by
Scribus. I don't remember if the splash is an unmanaged window or
something less extreme, but either way its behaviour will depend largely
on the window manager.

I personally dislike splash screens - my view being that the main window
should appear immediately, with any further initialization being done
after that, preferably but not necessarily deferred until first use / in
the background. Maybe Scribus can get to the point of supporting that,
but right now the main window class is WAY too tied up in the
implementation details of large parts of the app for that to work.

When it comes to the behaviour of the splash, any tweaks would probably
involve direct Xlib use, and that wouldn't solve any issues on Mac OS X
or Windows. I'm not sure what the best choice is there beyond the
already-mentioned option of not dipslaying it when you tell Scribus not
to.

--
Craig Ringer
	-- if it ain't broke, add features 'till it is. (or:)