[Scribus] CMYK image processing

Helmut Wollmersdorfer helmut.wollmersdorfer
Mon Mar 20 01:07:20 CET 2006

Kai-Uwe Behrmann wrote:

[cinepaint 0.20-1]

> Can you be more specific to fix the problems you have? What are the points
> you have with CinePaint's usability?

E.g. for conversion into CMYK it should be enough to select
Image -> Mode -> CMYK
The necessity to add alpha is a technical solution and not easy usability.

> When did it crash?

I do not exactly remember. In my second session it crashed after
activating/deactivation some channels.

> What libtiff version do you use?

$ tiffinfo
LIBTIFF, Version 3.8.0
Copyright (c) 1988-1996 Sam Leffler
Copyright (c) 1991-1996 Silicon Graphics, Inc.

> One possibly reason, which comes to mind is a possibly missing profile
> at your RGB.jpg. This is needed before converting. It needs being
> attached.

In my second session (after trying around some time) I was able to
convert a RGB.jpg into a CMYK.jpg. But 'save as' tif was not possible -
it did not save the file to disk.

At a next try (fresh start) I opened the CMYK.jpg, it asked for
conversion from one CMYK-ICC to another and then looped in throwing
errors 'Please add alpha to image before converting'. I had to restart X
with cntl-alt-backspace - X was dead. [1]

> I've put a lot of work into CinePaint's Cmyk capabilities and it is
> useable to some extent.
> But without feedback it is much harder for me to improove anything.

Here is the point in this discussion where I should subscribe the
developer list of cinepaint. I can take the task of testing.

> For debian I cant say much, as I dont do the packages and testing there.

[1] I will raise a critical bug at Debian-BTS.

Helmut Wollmersdorfer