[Scribus] INkscape Friendly Linux Distribution _OT

John R. Culleton john
Mon Mar 6 15:12:48 CET 2006

On Monday 06 March 2006 02:51, Lars Behrens wrote:
> on Saturday 04 March 2006 23:24 John R. Culleton wrote:
> > I have run Slackware since the floppy disk days but now it seems
> > to be running out of steam in the DTP area. In particular
> > several attempts to install Inkscape have failed. I know that
> > several users of Scribus also use Inkscape. So my question is:
> > whoat distro comes with Inkscape or is a capable host for
> > Inkscape? How about Debian?
>
> I'm running Slackware 10.2 with Inkscape 0.43 and Scribus 1.3.2 here.
> Don't remember if I had a problem in installing these versions, but I
> would say that the effort in changing your distro will surely overweigh
> the effort of installing a few missing libraries (if there are any)
>
> Cheerz Lars

After several misfires and partial solutions, a person from the
alt.os.linux.slackware internet newsgroup suggested a workable
and easy solution. I installed a version of the Gnome desktop
called FRG Gnome that includes several packages, including
Inkscape.  These programs also showed up on my KDE menus. This is
Inkscape 1.42.2.

FRG Gnome is a special edition of the desktop customized to work
with Slackware, which is going to drop Gnome altogether soon.

An earlier, partial solution was to install Inkscape on a Debian
parition I have, but don't use. Then I addressed the Inkscape on
that partition from my Slackware/KDE desktop. Inkscape ran but
gave warning messages about missing functions.

I am told that Inkscape is very sensitive about having the same
versions of libraries installed as it was originally compiled
with.

Thanks to all who responded It has been an informative thread.
--
John Culleton
Books with answers to marketing and publishing questions:

Book coaches, consultants and packagers: