[Scribus] varia

Louis Desjardins louis_desjardins
Thu Mar 2 18:03:39 CET 2006

Bjoern Schoepe a ?crit :

> Hi everybody!
> First of all, I'm not very experienced with DTP but I'm fascinated by the
> Scribus project. I love to experience with the possibilities it offers, yet.

Hi Bjoern,

Welcome to Scribus!

> But I had a couple of problems and wondered if they were "normal" or if it
> was just my inexperience..
> 1. I wanted to use medieval numbering. As the feature's implementation is work
> in progress (I appreciate very much!!) I wanted to use the search and replace
> tool in the editor and replace the numbers instead of the regular font with
> the special cap font. Manually done it worked. But replacing p.e. all 0s with
> the tool nothing changed. Has anybody experienced the same thing?

What do you mean by medieval numbering? You can use any font (that has
numbers) to use the automatic page numbering. Not sure to understand
your question here.

> 2. I wanted to manually lay out footnotes (I know, another feature in
> progress, I also appreciate very much!!) I did an indentation of all lines of
> a paragraph except the first. But then I had to use in the first line after
> the number a tabulator space (I hope you understand what I try to explain..).
> I clicked on the tabulator button in properties and set one. But using
> afterwards the tab it gave a much longer tabulator space, so also this did
> not work that way. Did I do something wrong?

Have a look in the Scribus wiki and look for list or bulleted list. You
should find exactly what you're looking for.
http://wiki.scribus.net/index.php/How_to_create_lists_in_scribus_1.2x
(This is good also for 1.3.x)

> 3. Maybe the most basical thing, but I did not find anything in the bug
> database, maybe I did not use the right search words: in QuarkXPress or other
> DTPs you can create a text frame in the master page and after this applying
> the master page to the document inserting a text file automatically the
> textframes are filled up one by one. In Scribus creating a text frame in the
> master page does not work for me. I see just the lines but I have to insert
> the text frames manually, quite a work for a longer document.

In the first step when you create a new document, there is a check box
[auto text frame] in the New dialog. This is where you tell Scribus to
do what you want to achieve here. This text box will link automatically
to any new page inserted/created from the Page > Insert Page menu. It is
important to mention that Scribus does not yet add pages automatically
to accomodate a long text. But once you add those pages manually (you
can add as much as you can at once), the text will flow automatically
into the new pages.

> I'm using Scribus 1.3.2 (unstable ebuild) on Gentoo Linux for PPC.
> Greetings and thanks for hints or comments.

Hope that helps!

> -Bjoern.

Louis

--