[Scribus] Software distribution question

Christoph Schäfer christoph-schaefer
Mon Jun 19 17:58:32 CEST 2006

Hi Grant,

Am Montag, 19. Juni 2006 16:39 schrieb Grant Bloedow:
> I recently came across this application in its current version and
> have been looking for a long time to find a flexible open source
> layout application. I may have come across Scribus a year ago, but
> the features at the time didn't seem as polished as today.
> Congratulations on those who have contributed to this project!
>
> Open source and GPL'd software is something I've used for personal
> use for some time. I work for a label manufacturer and would like to
> use the Scribus software to create templates that allow our customers
> to make create designs and apply them to our label sheets for mailing/
> media and office labels.
>
> Since the software is GPL'd the re-distribution with source and same
> license is acceptable, but I am wondering about the dependencies of
> the software needed to take advantage of Scribus.
>
> It appears the GPL version of Ghostscript doesn't work as well with a
> default installation as the AFPL licensed version. I'm sure
> distributing the AFPL verison of Ghostscript is not allowed under its
> license.

As Camille noted, Artifex has changed/will change its licence policy, but even
it didn't do that, you can distribute ghostscript with Scribus on a CD-ROM,
provided you don't charge for it. On the GPL (Scribus) side the facts are
clear:

"In addition, mere aggregation of another work not based on the Program with
the Program (or with a work based on the Program) on a volume of a storage or
distribution medium does not bring the other work under the scope of this
License." (? 2, GPL).

The current Artifex licence for gs permits distribution of binaries and source
code, as long as no fee has to be paid by the recipient. I assume this is
even true if you charge for your creative work done _with_ Scribus and
ghostscript.

> Here are a few questions I hope someone who has some more experience
> with the program and public licenses could shed some light on for me:
>
> 1. Do 'documents/templates' generated from Scribus fall under the
> same requirements of the software license,

Yes, and that means no ;): "The act of running the Program is not restricted,
and the output from the Program is covered only if its contents constitute a
work based on the Program (independent of having been made by running the
Program)." (? 0, GPL)

> how about Python scripts?

They would probably be covered by the GPL, but does that make any difference?
If you distribute them on a CD-ROM along with Scribus, you have met the
requirements o the GPL, since Python scripts are source code (no binaries).

> I would like to have the software distributed on CD with our
> templates and would be happy to allow for our templates and scrapbook
> libraries, and future python script additions to be available under
> the same license. Is this required to release the documents or
> scripts under the same license if we distribute it with the applicaiton?

See above.

> 2. Microsoft has the downloadable DLL library that is required for
> Win2000, and the Scribus installer prompts to download during the
> installation. Microsoft allows for distributing the library as-is. If
> it were included on a CD but a seperate installer would that be
> acceptable?

If it's true that Microsoft allows distribution "as is", why not? But I
strongly recommend to read the fine print before ;)

> Thanks in advance for any insight any replies, and again my hat is
> off to the great work being done on this application. It has almost
> all the features of a QuarkXPress 4 generation layout program. Or
> very close to it. I am really excited for the future development and
> am interested in creating Python scripts to extend the functionality.

It would be great if you could upload some or all of your scripts to let
others learn about your way of achieving your goals with Scribus scripting,
e.g. www.scribus.net or wiki.scribus.net.

> --
> Grant Bloedow
> IS/IT Manager - Ace Label Systems, Inc.