[Scribus] Software distribution question

Grant Bloedow grant
Mon Jun 19 16:39:11 CEST 2006

I recently came across this application in its current version and
have been looking for a long time to find a flexible open source
layout application. I may have come across Scribus a year ago, but
the features at the time didn't seem as polished as today.
Congratulations on those who have contributed to this project!

Open source and GPL'd software is something I've used for personal
use for some time. I work for a label manufacturer and would like to
use the Scribus software to create templates that allow our customers
to make create designs and apply them to our label sheets for mailing/
media and office labels.

Since the software is GPL'd the re-distribution with source and same
license is acceptable, but I am wondering about the dependencies of
the software needed to take advantage of Scribus.

It appears the GPL version of Ghostscript doesn't work as well with a
default installation as the AFPL licensed version. I'm sure
distributing the AFPL verison of Ghostscript is not allowed under its
license.

Here are a few questions I hope someone who has some more experience
with the program and public licenses could shed some light on for me:

1. Do 'documents/templates' generated from Scribus fall under the
same requirements of the software license, how about Python scripts?
I would like to have the software distributed on CD with our
templates and would be happy to allow for our templates and scrapbook
libraries, and future python script additions to be available under
the same license. Is this required to release the documents or
scripts under the same license if we distribute it with the applicaiton?

2. Microsoft has the downloadable DLL library that is required for
Win2000, and the Scribus installer prompts to download during the
installation. Microsoft allows for distributing the library as-is. If
it were included on a CD but a seperate installer would that be
acceptable?

Thanks in advance for any insight any replies, and again my hat is
off to the great work being done on this application. It has almost
all the features of a QuarkXPress 4 generation layout program. Or
very close to it. I am really excited for the future development and
am interested in creating Python scripts to extend the functionality.

--
Grant Bloedow
IS/IT Manager - Ace Label Systems, Inc.
grant at acelabel.com