[Scribus] Q; Why does import from Inkscape/SVG look so different in Scribus?

Gregory Pittman gpittman
Tue Jun 13 04:06:00 CEST 2006

D. R. Evans wrote:
> Maybe it's just that there's a heap of Scribus documentation somewhere, and
> I have yet to find it??
>
> So instead of trying to fix the import from Inkscape, let me back up and
> ask a simpler question: where is there Scribus documentation that actually
> describes how to use it *in gory, gruesome detail*?
>
>   Doc
>
> PS Sorry, I really am not an idiot, although I'm sure I'm giving a good
> impression of one. I just have not the slightest idea how to use any of
> this, and I simply cannot find the documentation that lays it all out for
> me. I'd be perfectly happy to spend a couple of evenings reading
> documentation before touching the keyboard, if only I could find the
> documentation.
>
> PPS Ah! I found the icon that allows me to rotate the pistol. Now I just
> need to reflect it. I found a "Flip Horizontal" and "Flip Vertical" buttons
> under the object Properties, but those buttons can't be pressed :-(

Indeed. It's hard to be encouraging. Probably the biggest reason there's
not much documentation is that it doesn't work well (otherwise working
with them would be obvious). Here's something from the Scribus manual:

The current version of the SVG-Import Plug-in has the following limitations:
Text isn't supported fully yet.
Not all gradient styles are fully supported.
No support for masking and clipping
Embedded SVG-Images aren't supported.
The SVG should be well formed, with all tags and structures should be
correct. Corrupted SVGs could crash the plug-in.
Animations, multi-media and "extensions" or proprietary tags within SVG,
which can only be viewed with certain viewers.

I think even with 1.2.1 you should be able to do some basic things with
SVG import. Make sure you have the SVG selected that you want to work
with (click on it). Make sure you saved it as a 'Plain SVG' from Inkscape.

If there is something more than the pistol you need to ungroup the SVG -
right-click for the Context Menu, or on the main menu Item > Ungroup. If
it's not truly ungrouped (I had that problem), select and repeat
ungrouping. Eventually you should be able to select only the pistol.

Plan B might be to export the SVG as a PNG or JPEG (the larger the
better) from Inkscape, and then in Scribus import into an image frame.
See http://wiki.scribus.net/index.php/Working_with_image_frames

Greg