[Scribus] Q; Why does import from Inkscape/SVG look so different in Scribus?

Gregory Pittman gpittman
Mon Jun 12 22:13:16 CEST 2006

D. R. Evans wrote:
> I created a title page (i.e., a single, simple page) for a 6"x9" book using
> Inkscape. If anyone cares, I've put it at:
>   http://www.ipfonix.com/tmp/title-page.svg

Importing SVGs remains a bit of a work-in-progress, with various
features not or poorly implemented. What Scribus version are you using?
> So I have a very simple question: when I "Import" this into a 6" x 9"
> Scribus document, it looks completely different than the way it looks when
> I view it in Inkscape:
>
> 1. I can't see the text or the pistol on the screen, just what appear to be
> bounding boxes for the text.

I saved then imported your svg to Scribus 1.3.3.2, and saw the pistol
and printed it OK, but it was displaced all the way to the right.
Perhaps yours is completely outside the bounding box for the SVG, or
hiding behind one of the other frames.
The text cannot be seen because it's too big for the size of its frame.
Enlarging each frame will allow them to appear. If you can, it's
recommended that you insert text features in Scribus, rather than
putting them in the SVG -- you will get better results anyway. You will
need to Ungroup the SVG, in fact I had to ungroup multiple times to
eventually get them broken up.
> 2. When I print it, the pistol does not print.
>
> 3. When I print it, there is a dotted line going from northwest to
> southeast in the southeast quadrant.
>
> 4. When I print it, the name is split over two lines, even though in the
> original SVG it is all on one line.

Same as above - enlarge the frame.
> This is my first time of using both Inkscape and Scribus. Obviously, I'm
> doing something majorly wrong, but I don't know what :-(

Chances are you'll get there. You've just happened pick a weak spot in
Scribus as your starting point.

Greg