[Scribus] Integration into KDE

PLinnell mrdocs
Tue Jun 6 22:04:08 CEST 2006

Thomas Zastrow wrote:
> Dear list,
>
> I compiled and installed Scribus under Suse 10.1 with KDE. I was
> surprised that Scribus' SLA-files weren't automatically associated
with
> the Scribus-App, so I wrote an eMail to the KDE-usability-list.
There
> were some answers on my mail, here a summary:

First, its not terribly difficult to rebuild scribus from the srpm
with the build script which is available for suse 9.1+, along with
the i686 binaries which were available for 1.3.3.2.

the wiki on opensuse.org has the info

By rebuilding the rpm, then installing, this has the magic to enable
the correct mime association for sla and sla.gz files which Suse 9.3+
supports for KDE Gnome and XFCE.

Installing the rpm sets the association, un-installing removes the
association.

This was given a careful going over by both the then Redhat and Suse
packagers to make sure it works properly. You can see the details in
the PACKAGING file which is included with the Scribus sources.  I
believe Debian has a similar mechanism to work with .debs

> On Tuesday 06 June 2006 02:56, James Richard Tyrer wrote:
>  > Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
>  > > On Friday 02 June 2006 08:33, Thomas Zastrow wrote:
>  > >> KDE nows a lot of file-types, but Scribus isn't recognized by
KDE by
>  > >> default. Wouldn't it possible to associate SLA-files in
Konqueror with
>  > >> Scribus?
>  > >
>  > > scribus should ship a .desktop file that includes this
association. if
>  > > they don't, that's a bug for scribus to fix.
>  >
>  > Scribus ships support for the XDG MIME information, but KDE
doesn't
>  > support it yet.
>
> ah yes, real world useful versus theoretically useful. *applause* =/
>
> someone should thump the scribus team kindly on the noggin and
suggest that
> adding that one entry into their .desktop file would make scribus
more
> useful
> for the majority of open source desktop users, aka "kde users".

Reading the specs a while back is was not clear to me how to do that
with the older .desktop files. If someone knows the correct syntax,
I'm all ears.

The old desktop spec was not exactly a model of clarity IIRC.