[Scribus] Setting up lprof

Hal V. Engel hvengel
Mon Jun 5 22:10:16 CEST 2006

On Monday 05 June 2006 11:20, Kai-Uwe Behrmann wrote:
> malcolm,
>
> do you want to use lprof on osX/Windows? There are easy applications to
> produce good monitor profiles. Look on the driver CD coming with your
> measurement device.
>
> For bsd/linux you can currently, feel free to correct me Hal, only use
> some expensive serial devices.
>

> kind regards
> Kai-Uwe Behrmann

Kai-Uwe,

ArgyllCMS CVS now has code to support the X-Rite DTP-94 which is a current USB
device.   These are relatively inexpensive (US $199 list price without
software - $299 with software street prices around $229).  This software
works on Windows, Mac and Linux but is command line only and not particularly
user friendly.

On the other hand if you want to be able to create profiles that are OK
without the use of a measurement instrument then you can use LProf which has
tools that use user input to create monitor profiles.  These profiles are not
as good as profiles based on hardware measurements but are better than
generic monitor profiles.  Current LProf CVS will build on Linux/Unix/BSD/Mac
and this will be released in the next day or two with a Windows binary
install as well as the source tarball.   Also LProf is a GUI program and is
user friendly.

I am in the process of starting work on supporting the GretagMacbeth (GMB)
EyeOne devices in LProf.   These devices retail for:

i1 Display LT $169  US street prices $130-$140 includes Mac/Win software
i1 Display 2 $249  US street prices $200-$210 includes Mac/Win software
i1 Design $899 US street prices $700-$750 includes Mac/Win software

The Display 2 and the Display LT are EXACTLY the same hardware and the only
difference is that if the GMB software detects that the device is an LT it
reduces the number of available features in the software.  With LProf both
devices will have exactly the same features.

One other very low cost option for Windows and Mac users is the GMB Pantone
Huey.  Retail is $89 and I have seen these on ebay for as little as $59 plus
shipping and this includes the Windows and Mac software.  Linux/Unix drivers
are not currently available for the Huey and I don't know if GMB plans on
making these available (I asked and didn't get an answer - I would really
like to be able to support this device in LProf but will not if Linux drivers
are not available).  So Windows and Mac users no longer have the "it's too
expensive" excuse for not having hardware based custom monitor profiles.

Hal