[Scribus] Inkscape and Gimp

Craig Ringer craig
Sun Jun 4 18:41:01 CEST 2006

Silvio Lopes wrote:
> Hi People,
> When I started This thread I did not had the intention of starting
> somekind of war from what I?ve been seeing in the mailing list.

It's not your fault. Your message just pressed a few hot buttons, and
some of the responses certainly did.

 > I Just
> thought that It would be great to have some kind of "Open Source
> Creative Suite", just like Adobe Creative Suite. With more than CMYK and
> spot color in Gimp and Inkscape. Creating a full integrated design
> environment combining the 3 software. I know it?s not an easy task.

To be honest I'd go beyond that and say that at this point it doesn't
look practical. The best and easiest way to approach that is with shared
tools and libraries - and the tools the three projects use are all
remarkably different. It's not impossible, just a big job made bigger by
the major differences in all the projects.

LGM was a step toward better communication and cooperation. I personally
suspect most future collaboration will be of ideas, not code, so it was
a very important step.

--
Craig Ringer