[Scribus] Inkscape and Gimp

avox avox
Fri Jun 2 15:46:53 CEST 2006

momo wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I'd like to apologize about the use of the word "ashamed", it is true that
> it's not fair from my part, specially when talking about people that are
> willing to donate their time and skills to develop open source software. I
> am ashamed now because of that... sorry.

I really appreciate that you take back that statement and I think it's a
proof
of the high standard this mailing list has. So, "no worries".

As has been said before we got in contact with the Gimp and Inkscape
developers
at the LGM in Lyon and they are well aware of the need for CMYK support.
Of course FOSS projects often lack manpower; and the direction the
development
takes often is more determined by the knowledge and interest of the
available
developers than by some product strategy.

AFAIK Inkscape will use the colorspace syntax of SVG colors to support CMYK.
I haven't followed the development after LGM but I've heard there already is
some progress.

Gimp is currently integrating the new GEGL library and it makes sense to
postpone
CMYK support until this framework is in place. I'm pretty sure that CMYK
support
(and other colorspaces) will follow shortly after.

> A graphic redactor lacking the CMYK color scheme is just not good,
> specially
> when there is other alternative to GIMP on the unix/linux platforms.

Watch out for Krita from KDE, it sounds quite promising.

/Andreas