[Scribus] Scientific publishing

Helmut Wollmersdorfer helmut.wollmersdorfer
Fri Jun 2 10:12:34 CEST 2006

Peter Nermander wrote:

> I beg to differ. Text is "line based", you have characters on a line. I agree
> that SOME forumlas can be seen as text, but many are more like special images
> (but they are not images and should not be trated like images).

Maybe you can agree on this:
A formula is a special twodimensional arrangement of characters.
And don't forget, that you can express formulas in plain text, e.g.

   sum(n[1;99])

and the 2-dimensional formatting can be a different step/level.

>> Also your 1.4 - 1.6 is IMHO better treated on level '2. markup'.

> With "complex tables" I meant tables that are not just data in columns, but
> tables used to give a visual appearance of something. So it is something
> including text but where you want control of how it appears already in the
> "writing" phase (you can not wait with it until layout).

Yes, WYSIWYG is very comfortable and should not be missed.
I just want to outline the necessity of a markup level.

Helmut Wollmersdorfer