[Scribus] Inkscape and Gimp

Helmut Wollmersdorfer helmut.wollmersdorfer
Fri Jun 2 01:41:32 CEST 2006

Christoph Sch?fer wrote:

> "Ashamed" is completely wrong here. However, one must not forget that the GIMP
> team has deliberately ignored all requests from users to implement CMYK
> features for years. Their point of view has been for a long time: That's the
> printer's job, not ours. So, they might be to blame for their current
> difficulties ;)

Yeah, I read the flame wars - they are in public archives.

> They also have ignored many requests for a better usability,
> and badmouthing the guy who created GIMPshop or the cinepaint team is not
> what I would call good manners. That doesn't diminish my admiration for what
> has been achieved by the GIMP developers. The GIMP has become my favourite
> tool for restoring old b/w photographs. It's fast and very reliable.

I like GIMP very much and use it often. But for preparation of a book I
had to use Photoshop and Indesign.

I hope that GIMP 2.4 includes CMYK, CMS, and 16-bit depth, and 2.4 comes
soon.

IMHO the usability is not so bad. If you imagine the complexity, the
developers did a great job. But they should be more open to 'small'
improvements, maybe look at the competitors and take some of their
solutions.

> And I really hope no one will complain about inkscape.

I complain;-)

Some days ago I tried to draw something with inkscape and didn't step
forward. It's too technically oriented, not self explaining, hard to
learn. It needs a complete redesign of the UI.

Same is with lprof.

Usually I am somebody helping in test, review and documentation, but
inkscape seems to be a too large task for me - lprof is next on my list.

Helmut Wollmersdorfer