[Scribus] xml workflow - best practices, experiences

Frank Cox melville.theatre
Thu Jun 1 19:43:41 CEST 2006

On Thu, 01 Jun 2006 12:41:51 +0200
Maximilian G?rber <max at gaerber.de> wrote:

> It would be interesting why you chose to go html -> odt -> Scribus.

Simplicity.  I originally wrote the main classified ad handling program to run
on a Windows computer using DOS PowerBasic.  And the project just grew from
there.  (If you want to read more about the process of using DOS PowerBasic on
a Linux computer, and a bit about the evolution of the Bargain Hunter ad
management program, I have a little article describing it here:
http://theatre.sasktelwebsite.net/articles/ )

The simplest format to output the data from the datafile is HTML.  Scribus's
OpenOffice importer is more mature than its HTML importer so running it through
OpenOffice as an intermediate step avoids some pitfalls that occur when
directly importing HTML.  I can't recall exactly what the problem was when we
tried importing the HTML directly -- something happened that we didn't want and
I asked a question about it on this mailing list and someone suggested that we
run it through OpenOffice.  That works fine so it's been done that way ever
since.

--
MELVILLE THEATRE ~ Melville Sask ~ http://theatre.sasktelwebsite.net