[Scribus] xml workflow - best practices, experiences

Frank Cox melville.theatre
Thu Jun 1 11:02:35 CEST 2006

On Thu, 01 Jun 2006 10:39:04 +0200
Maximilian G?rber <max at gaerber.de> wrote:

> Since Scribus's native file format is XML (and for various other
> reasons), I would like to evaluate a new approach. Any information would
> be appreciated.

The Bargain Hunter (http://www.thebargainhunter.net) uses a custom database
program that I have written to enter, renew, expire, and track classified ads.

They export the ads from the database as a HTML file. Actually 3 different HTML
files for 3 different papers.

Each HTML file is imported into OpenOffice, and saved as an .odt file.

Which is subsequently imported into Scribus and laid out as an actual
publication (using pre-formatted templates) that is subsequently imposed as a
PDF file (again, using a custom program written by me, with margin offsets to
match the presses), printed onto plates, and then printed on paper using a
couple of offset presses, then collated, stapled, folded and put on the shelf
for sale right across the province of Saskatchewan, Canada.

Is that information of any value to you?  I don't really know what you're
looking for, so there is an overview of the workflow.  If you want more
details, ask.

--
MELVILLE THEATRE ~ Melville Sask ~ http://theatre.sasktelwebsite.net