[Scribus] Scribus Digest, Vol 41, Issue 60

hovergo at net-tech.com.au hovergo
Thu Jul 27 09:20:20 CEST 2006

<snip>
I deal with a growing document (currently on OpenOffice) which is a technical manual. The text is strongly related to images (screenshots) describing.. what happens on the screen.

I am considering using Scribus but am I actually better off staying with OpenOffice there?
Because layout is really simple can someone let me know what advantages Scribus would have over OO there, if any?
</snip>

Great to hear that news, I recently started a beginners, beginners Scribus tutorial using screen shots and few words - in Scribus Ver 1.2.4
Reason for not Oo. is that it got too hard to maintain, images in Open Office move around, often from page to page depending on text placement and setup, and if you need to update an image it messes everything up on the page/s unless you use text boxes to position the text, and then it becomes like working in Scribus, hence my decision to go Scribus  and use the Editor to insert small captions where I need them and save th plain text files.

I'm concerned that by the time I get it up, the screen shots may be out of date, so I am using minimal amount of generic text (English language) in text boxes over the top of the screen shots, that way I or anyone else should be able to update the screen shots to new versions and only modify small portions of the text as necessary. A  living Scribus tutorial .

Other languages would only have to translate a few words in plain text format , adjust the text box  and job's done. A  tut in Scribus is manipulatable by anyone who needs to do so.
A picture is worth a thousand words and no one reads more than 100 words without flagging a bit.
regards
Roger