[Scribus] Invalid Page Fault in Module QT-MT3.DLL

Craig Ringer craig
Thu Jul 27 04:20:25 CEST 2006

Plinnell wrote:
> On Wednesday 26 July 2006 19:42, Anthony Brock (KG4AGD) wrote:
>> I just installed Scribus 1.3.3 on a Windows 98 SE machine. When I
>> try to start the program, it loads up initially but does not
>> complete. I get the error EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION, stating
>> Scribus has performed an illegal operation. In the details, it is
>> an "Invalid Page Fault in Module QT-MT3.DLL." Any solutions to this
>> so I can get Scribus to run on Windows 98 SE?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> A. Brock

> Hi,
>
> There is no solution. Scribus will not run on Win98SE, nor will it in
> the future.
>
> Scribus as you learned will not run on any version of Windows except
> for Windows 2000 or newer.
>
> Scribus relies on many features in Windows 2000 and XP which are not
> in Win9x.

Not only that, but Microsoft has now dropped support for Windows 98.
That means there are no security fixes coming out for it. Mozilla.org
has also dropped support for it in Firefox 2.0, so your browser choices
will soon be a dangerously insecure version of MSIE a version of Firefox
that'll probably also turn out to have the usual round of security
holes. The security situation is likely to continue to degenerate in
other ways too, but the browser will probably be the worst.

Given that win98 generally only appears on fairly old machines that
won't be exactly zippy running Scribus, don't work wonderfully with
large amounts of RAM, etc, it's really not an appealing porting prospect
even if it were practical. That's doubly true given that all these
machines really need retirement or an OS upgrade (XP or Linux) so there
hardly seems any point to the port.

--
Craig Ringer