[Scribus] Improving Scribus Wiki (once again)

Louis Desjardins louis_desjardins
Wed Jul 26 02:33:46 CEST 2006

Brian Astill a ?crit :

> On Wednesday 26 July 2006 00:05, MaHan wrote:
>
>>Brian, please let me hear your suggestions to improve
>>Scribus Wiki's usability. What do you miss?
>

> In a word - no, sorry, several :-) - a decent search engine.
> Your suggestion of:
> http://www.scribus.net/index.php?name=Sections&req=viewarticle&artid=4&page=1
> or this one:
> http://wiki.scribus.net/index.php/Getting_Scribus_on_Ubuntu/Kubuntu_up_and_running
>
> is fine _if_you_know_where_to_look_.

Brian,

Say you don't know exactly what to look for but still can use a few key
words to search for.

1. You hopefully will find soon enough the Scribus web sites : docs,
wiki, bugs, scribus main page.

2. You will also find out very soon the existence of this mailing list.

3. Maybe if you monitor this list a bit you already found out that when
a question is asked it gets an answer in a *very* short time. Some good
souls even monitor this list when on vacation. :)

4. Plus, if you monitor the list you'll also taste the spirit of it.
People from all over the world only there to help out and share what
they know and listen to what they don't know.

5. Since you talk about "decent search engine" I assume you know how to
search in Google when you want to restrain your search to a particular
site, an option which in this particular case would have saved you hours
of frustration. If you don't, please write again, and I will be glad to
help. But maybe reading the "docs" from the Google search engine would
help. You never know how these tips can be useful when you read them.

6. It must have struck you, or else I am sorry to mention that a lot of
people are taking the time to help you out and try to figure out your
issues. But still, it is *very* difficult to help you because it seems
there is no way to fulfill your needs, no matter the explanation or how
and how much we ask for further details.

7. Very rarely (did it ever happen?) is anybody on this list going to
answer poorly or cheaply or bluntly a question asked by anybody, newby
included. We will definitely try to do our very best to help anyone out.
Even when they sound rude or a bit out of the spirit here. :)

This list *is* very friendly and will not vanish (why should it?). I
don't know what has struck you or what makes you believe that maybe
machines are going to answer back to you. We are human beings. We can
help you much faster than any software or search engine. :)

Louis

p.s. Try looking in Google with the following keywords "wrapping text
around image frames" and add "Scribus" or use any term you can think
of... Now try with "Scribus-ng"... Now try with "scribus-ng
site:scribus.net"... This is simple, fast, efficient, not frustrating.
If you can't find it, just ask the list. What's wrong with asking a
question?