[Scribus] Why do?

Christoph Schäfer christoph-schaefer
Wed Jul 26 02:10:02 CEST 2006

Am Mittwoch, 26. Juli 2006 01:34 schrieb Craig Ringer:
> Nicholas Vettese wrote:
> > My guess is that many people do not feel that they need to learn
> > anything, and it should all be made super easy, with 1000 templates to
> > get them started.  The problem is when you load those templates, you will
> > still need an understanding of how to customize them for your needs.
>
> Yeah, discussion often comes back to the limited number of shipping
> templates. The problem is that everybody wants them, but nobody wants to
> create them. I'm no great designer (work I produce tends to be _awful_),
> I'm a programmer, and I think a similar thing applies to a greater or
> lesser extent to much of the team. Those with design skills tend to be
> too busy (as are many of those who don't, but hey).

Those with design skills tend to create documents from scratch, based on
individual customers' requirements. Most pieces are too dependent on very
special restrictions, either from the customer's side or the printer's side
(think about different values for bleed etc.). OTOH, there are quite a few
(mostly office)  templates available on www.scribus.net, and the
soon-to-be-updated tutorial (thanks to Maciej) will provide an easy
instruction to create new docs from scratch easily. Finally, one must not
forget the sample scripts for easy creation of standard documents.

In my experience, it's not really easy to use the templates shipped with
Scribus, at least for newbies, since they require advanced knowledge of the
software (layers, locked items etc.).

> Given that, any submitted templates that're wholly new work are very
> welcome.
>
> --
> Craig Ringer

Christoph