[Scribus] It's what people don't tell you... (WAS: Re: Why do?)

Craig Bradney cbradney
Wed Jul 26 00:06:41 CEST 2006

On Tuesday 25 July 2006 23:56, Craig Bradney wrote:
> Allen,
>
> > team or programmers were doing about Linux appliances, he mentioned the
> > difficulties he'd had doing it in Scribus. I commiserated with him and
> > decided to try it to see if it was truly as bad/difficult to understand
> > as he said, which is why I'm here.
>
> Being a good coder, kernel or not, does not make you good at DTP.
>
> > I know for a fact he and his partners never wrote any notes to the
> > Scribus team about their problems, they just moved on and tried DocBook,
> > which they abandoned shortly before settling on a combination of AbiWord
> > and OpenOffice.
>
> Scribus follows the typical frame based DTP ideas as Quark and InDesign do.
> That is how it is and that is how it will stay. The use of something else
> like a word processor is a completely different idea and way of working.
> DTP != WP and never will. In any case, as Pierre-Luc has said, you don't
> typically write text in a DTP app. We may have a way to go on some things
> with working with our frames, but frames they are and frames they shall
> stay.
>
> > How many others have done the same? Inquiring minds would like to know.
>
> Many, probably, however importantly, they had the chance via FOSS. They
> didn't have to spend thousands of $/?/? on finding this out with Quark or
> InDesign.
>
> For those that left because of issues with Scribus itself (rather than
> applicable type of app), my hope is they try again at least with the final
> stable version currently planned after about 1.3.10 which will be the
> version we all are working towards. This may be 1.4, 1.6 (having released a
> mid term 1.4) or even 2.0..
>
> DTP is not for everyone, although we do not wish to exclude any particular
> group. In any case, the reverse is true, in general there are
> MANY "documents" that you do in DTP that are incredibly difficult or
> impossible in a word processor.. and thats the way those apps will stay. I
> do not wish to enforce frames on to those apps for some sorts of docs, and
> for others I use Scribus.
>
> Regards
> Craig

And don't get me wrong, I'd love to know the issues experienced, although I
can guess some. Without people offering feedback, its hard to fix the issues
encountered. I'm sure theres a lot of users who don't give us the good side
of feedback too.

Craig