[Scribus] Why do?

Christoph Schäfer christoph-schaefer
Tue Jul 25 21:32:38 CEST 2006

Hi Brian,

Am Dienstag, 25. Juli 2006 15:30 schrieb Brian Astill:
> On Sunday 23 July 2006 23:39, Christoph Sch?fer wrote:
> > I strongly suggest you try to read at
> > least some of the documentation on docs.scribus.net and
> > wiki.scribus.net.
>
> Look, that sounds like such sensible advice - but I found the wiki
> quite unfathomable and the docs were neither comprehensible nor
> searchable using terms simple souls like me understand.
>
> For example, I looked in the mailing list archive (which doesn't
> appear to be searchable) for a thread/message about scribus-ng.

And if you don't know that its searchable, here's the right place to ask :)

> I looked in the wiki and in FAQs and docs. Two fruitless hours
> later, I took a wild guess that scribus-ng would NOT overwrite
> scribus and thank goodness that worked.

You could have saved the hours by asking the question here.

> I now have 1.3.3.2 to play with and 1.2.5 as a stable platform to
> make my newsletters with, while I learn about 1.3.3.2.
>
> That columns thingo - thanks for the where-to-find - is buried in
> [properties - shape - distance of text - columns] which ain't
> intuitive!

Brian, it's not "buried". In another posting I wrote about the few basic
concepts of Scribus. One of them is using the properties palette, which is
not just another menu, but the "command centre". Most formatting is best done
here and once are used to it, you'll never want to miss it. Once you've
learned that, you're halfway there.

> I also noticed a selection "Text flows around frame" which sounds
> like wrapping around/through/whatever in a wordprocessor, which
> is exactly what I was searching for recently in the docs/wiki and
> couldn't find.  I played around and it seems to work for an
> image, but not (yet?) for a text frame.

It works for all kinds of frames.

> I guess what I'm trying to point out is that BandiPat's issues are
> real for someone (like me) new to scribus and that - for us - the
> online docs and wiki won't always help.

This is a well known issue, but if you take the time to read a few articles,
not countless hours, as someone else complained, you'll get a "feeling" for
it. You can judge by the headlines which articles are important for you. It's
really not difficult, and if you need help, just ask here. Typically,
questions are answeres within a few minutes.

Cheers,

Christoph