[Scribus] Why do?

Gregory Pittman gpittman
Mon Jul 24 18:26:24 CEST 2006

Craig Bradney wrote:
> Its also work noting that its hard to write documentation for a GUI that is
> not final or does not exist yet. 1.3.x is changing rapidly and until the
> underlying work is done, we cannot do the front end. Consider the new style
> manager. We have character styles and paragraph style changes in 1.3.x, but
> its not shown the GUI yet, and there is certainly no user end documentation
> yet.

One thing that concerns me is, especially on looking back at the history
of Scribus, it seems that this will always be the case. There will
always be (as long as it continues to be developed) new things coming
soon, new features, new ways to accomplish old features, and
consequently any documentation will age rapidly. Is it time to
acknowledge that the included documentation does not live up to
expectations, even for the aging "stable" 1.2.x?

What may be feasible is to scale back the Scribus manual, trimming it
down to Peter's helpful commentary on DTP, color management, and so on,
with only the most brief delineation of how to begin with Scribus (one
that can be updated easily and frequently), along with a hand-off to the
Wiki and other sources. Beyond that, the Wiki itself needs a more
intuitive, helpful geography.

Having users give feedback about needed articles can certainly be
helpful. Maybe we also need the developers to do the same -- requesting
that someone write some brief notes about something that moved or
changed in the GUI in the latest 1.3.x...

Greg