[Scribus] Several reasons why columns will stay per frame in Scribus; was: Why do?

listen at thomas-zastrow.de listen
Mon Jul 24 10:15:49 CEST 2006

On Sunday 23 July 2006 23:18, avox wrote:
> BandiPat-2 wrote:
> > Page columns, text frame columns, why can't I have both?  Why can't I
> > automatically create them from the menu for either or add more from the
> > Properties box?  And shouldn't I be able to specify wheither they are
> > linked there too?  Yes, of course, I should.
>
> 1. Having two column concepts would confuse users

Full ACK.

> 2. Scribus had per-frame columns all the time and switching would confuse
> users

100% ACK.

> 3. Page columns are easy to create manually with guides

85% ACK ... in addition with understanding how the master-sites works ;-)

> 4. Page->Mange Guides lets you create the necessary guides quite easily

See above.

> 5. Page columns are not an object property and therefore can not be in the
> Property Palette (if, it would be in toolbar or a menu item)

100%

> 6. Before bothering with page columns it's more important to get tables
> right

150%

> 7. Before bothering with page columns it's more important to make frame
> linking more intuituve

Hhmm ... never had problems with that task ... 50%

> 8. Before bothering with page columns it's more important to make
> textframes on masterpages usable in normal pages

Yes, yes!!! 200%

Generally, I think that Scribus *is* easy to use. I have not realy much
experience with Quark & Co., but, let me say, in the last two years or so I
was able to do all the things I needed to do with Scribus.

Also in addition with this mailing-list where you can ask everything and
normally get a good answer.

And, as one of the "big players" in the OpenSource-scene, Scribus has also the
right to do some things in an other, perhaps a better way than the big
commercial apps.

Best,

Tom