[Scribus] Several reasons why columns will stay per frame in Scribus; was: Why do?

BandiPat magicpage91
Mon Jul 24 06:05:34 CEST 2006

avox wrote:
> BandiPat-2 wrote:

>> Page columns, text frame columns, why can't I have both?  Why can't I
>> automatically create them from the menu for either or add more from the
>> Properties box?  And shouldn't I be able to specify wheither they are
>> linked there too?  Yes, of course, I should.
>>

> 1. Having two column concepts would confuse users
> 2. Scribus had per-frame columns all the time and switching would confuse
> users
> 3. Page columns are easy to create manually with guides
> 4. Page->Mange Guides lets you create the necessary guides quite easily
> 5. Page columns are not an object property and therefore can not be in the
> Property Palette (if, it would be in toolbar or a menu item)
> 6. Before bothering with page columns it's more important to get tables
> right
> 7. Before bothering with page columns it's more important to make frame
> linking more intuituve
> 8. Before bothering with page columns it's more important to make textframes
> on masterpages usable in normal pages
> 9 ...
>
> Of course you can file a request for page columns and someone might
> implement them, for ex. by extanding the guidemanager or autosizing newly
> placed textframes
> (or you could write a python script which implements it).
> But page columns is not "THE ONE AND ONLY RIGHT THING", so don't be
> disappointed if we don't jump at it.
>
> /Andreas

---------------
You make it sound so finite Andreas, but I'm guessing the master
developers will have final say about it all, not you.  It's more
important to make the whole program more intuitive, if you expect people
to use it.  Page columns should have been one of the first things to
appear, because they are one of the more simple things in DTP and one of
the most used.  Remember the whole spill about making computers easy to
use?  Remember computers are here to un-complicate our lives, not add to
the stress?  If computers are to be made easy to use, then the programs
will have to follow that premise as well.  If they don't, those programs
will get left behind, simple as that.  I don't want to see that happen
to Scribus, because the original developers have put too much time in
making her come alive.

regards,
Pat

--