[Scribus] Several reasons why columns will stay per frame in Scribus; was: Why do?

avox avox
Sun Jul 23 23:18:31 CEST 2006

BandiPat-2 wrote:

> Page columns, text frame columns, why can't I have both?  Why can't I
> automatically create them from the menu for either or add more from the
> Properties box?  And shouldn't I be able to specify wheither they are
> linked there too?  Yes, of course, I should.

1. Having two column concepts would confuse users
2. Scribus had per-frame columns all the time and switching would confuse
users
3. Page columns are easy to create manually with guides
4. Page->Mange Guides lets you create the necessary guides quite easily
5. Page columns are not an object property and therefore can not be in the
Property Palette (if, it would be in toolbar or a menu item)
6. Before bothering with page columns it's more important to get tables
right
7. Before bothering with page columns it's more important to make frame
linking more intuituve
8. Before bothering with page columns it's more important to make textframes
on masterpages usable in normal pages
9 ...

Of course you can file a request for page columns and someone might
implement them, for ex. by extanding the guidemanager or autosizing newly
placed textframes
(or you could write a python script which implements it).
But page columns is not "THE ONE AND ONLY RIGHT THING", so don't be
disappointed if we don't jump at it.

/Andreas